The curse of self-doubt

Opportunity Quote

I have 90 drafted blog posts. Ninety. That’s a nine with a zero after it. Most of them are almost ready. Just a little tweak here or there and they’d be ready for me to hit the publish button.  But I let them sit there, unable to convince myself they’re good enough. I mean, who do I think I am thinking anyone wants to read what I have to say?

That self-doubt, she’s a real Debbie Downer.

And it doesn’t just attack my blogging. You should hear the struggle in my head about photography. I love taking pictures. When I pull out my camera, I feel genuinely excited. I am having the best time learning about photography and how to get the shots I want and how to edit them.  Until the self-doubt creeps in. And then I don’t pull my camera out so freely. I look at every shot with such a critical eye that there’s no way it could ever be good enough. The fun stops.

And I’m left wondering why I do this to myself. Why can I feel so confident in my abilities one day, and the next have no faith in myself? Because I think I could really have something here. This blog. My photography. It’s worth something. It’s an opportunity I don’t want to let slip through my fingers while I’m doubting myself.

But every time I sit down to write a post or turn on the camera, the struggle continues. I fight to dial back that self-doubt and remind myself that I am actually worth believing in.

So why am I suddenly confessing all of this? Because I know I’m not alone. And I know how lonely self-doubt can leave you. Because you don’t want to admit to anyone that you have a hard time believing in yourself. It feels a little shameful, doesn’t it?  Especially in this world, where exclamations of success and confidence are just a tweet or a Facebook update a way. I think we’re often left with the impression that everyone else can do it except for us.

And it’s just not true. We’re amazing, talented, capable, and driven people. There’s nothing we can’t do if we’re determined to make it happen. And if you’re down in that self-doubt pit like I find myself in sometimes, and you just can’t believe those words, find someone who will remind you. E-mail me if you want to. I’ll have no trouble telling you how amazing I think you are.

Let’s just start believing in ourselves and making great things happen. Who’s with me?

Trish Signature

fb-(g) g+-(m) pinterest-(o) twitter-(t)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Nicole P says

Self doubt is the worse! It creeps up in every aspect of my life. Situation by situation I have to convince myself I am awesome and all that good stuff!

You are too. Hit PUBLISH :)
    Nicole P recently posted…A for EffortMy Profile

2. says

Publish those posts!! You are awesome and I love reading your blog because you’re “you.” You don’t pretend to have it all figured out and you’re honest when you write!! Go go go! Hit publish!
    Jessica recently posted…Happy Friday!My Profile

3. says

Personally, I am LOVING all of the pictures you’ve been posting. You’re great! Which lens are you using these days? Keep on snapping away. :)

And your blog is REAL and that is exactly why I love it so much. You should definitely publish those posts. Maybe not all at the same time, because sometimes I get overwhelmed when I see 90 new posts to read, but I think you should definitely share them with us. ;)
    Jenn recently posted…Happy birthday Steve!My Profile

4. says

It is such an awful thing to suffer from, we miss so many opportunities. I just have to tell myself positive words and carry on – try it – I promise it does help :) xx

5. says

You are right. You are so not alone. I’m not sure how many drafts I have sitting in around. TOO MANY, that’s for sure. Well…some of those should probably just be deleted. I do draft a lot of nonsense that is just process. Haha. Thanks for writing this and sharing, though. We all constantly have to battle the self-doubt. Sometimes we win and sometimes, not so much. Here’s to the times we win!
    Running Hutch recently posted…Ode to Adult Onset RunnersMy Profile

6. says

You are so right! I don’t have 90 drafts but I have quite a few and even when I publish a post I start to panic thinking “What was I thinking publishing something like that?” I usually have to walk away from the computer for a while to leave it. Thanks so much for this! Made me feel like I’m not alone :)
    Britney@ The Princess & Her Cowboys recently posted…The Wednesday Roundup #17My Profile

7. says

Self-doubt is an evil, evil witch (feel free to replace the W with a B if necessary) who can be difficult to deal with. Throwing water on her doesn’t do anything and alcohol is only a temporary solution. I wish I had the answers for how to defeat her but she hangs out in my head way too often. When I’m feeling really good she does shut up for a bit but one bad day and she’s right there laughing at me. Ugh.
    Kim recently posted…Living with Depression & How I’m Working on HealingMy Profile

8. says

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that make the biggest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!
    adobe recently posted…adobeMy Profile

9. says

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was
    super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly
    enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m
    still new to everything. Do you have any points for beginner blog writers?
    I’d really appreciate it.
    tits recently posted…titsMy Profile

10. says

However, if you play in a league that is not based
    on a standard performance scoring system, custom fantasy football cheat sheets can be generated for your particular league setup
    using certain draft software that you can find online.
    Many online sites and magazines give insight into detailed statistics and information on players and teams.

This a very important rule you need to consider that “With teasers involving three or more picks, a push on any leg reduces the teaser to the next lowest level.
    http://www.caipdv.com/ recently posted…http://www.caipdv.com/My Profile

11. says

Many women love to buy because it does not matter whether you gain weight or not are shoes.

Ankle boots could be a real good support for the feet especially when a
    lady is learning to walk in heels. Unfortunately,
    the implications of supporting the faux designer handbag industry go far beyond lost
    business and hurt egos.
    Woodrow recently posted…WoodrowMy Profile

12. says

excitement or shame that fires your blush, your skin responds
    RED. No point chucking a list of 50 foods in your direction, when you
    can’t fit them all onto the one plate. If an individual is totally hydrated, his or her skin is soft, smooth
    as well as supple, as opposed to the dryness and also flakiness of dry skin. Some pets
    are more sensitive to flea bites than others.

Allergies can be extremely difficult to pin-point because
    your pup is probably eating lots of different things and neither you nor your Vet will be able to point
    out which one is causing the reaction at first glance.
    Sometimes they can develop a skin pore pimple (pore) infection. Keratosis pilaris (KP),
    is also called chicken skin. The rash should disappear
    within 30 minutes to an hour. nothing that could be done; the condition was incurable.
    They sometimes crack or bleed and can merge into one another.
    unresolved emotions might be erupting in your skin. For a
    person affected by vitiligo, the first few white patches that appear on his skin can be quite tolerable.
    Incontinentia pigmenti, also known as Bloch-Sulzberger syndrome is
    a rare genetic disorder that’s characterised by a discolouration of the skin. You are among the lucky ones to learn about this information here.

The indications include rashes that are comprised of dry skin that typically itches.
    Improve the youthful glow of your skin by learning more
    about sothys at Dr – Skin – Spa, where all Sothys products are assessed based upon their scientific ingredients.
    Again, over-the-counter antifungal medications can treat most outbreaks.
    research shows that skin conditions get worse with stress
    and negative. Thus, you must have seven to eight hours of deep rest each night if you want to acquire the glowing beautiful skin you always desired.

A dry male organ can be uncomfortable; it can easily become sore
    during intimate contact; and because dry skin tends to develop microscopic tears that can allow microbes to penetrate the outer layers,
    it is more prone to infection, as well.
    skin condition gaining weight after liposuction recently posted…skin condition gaining weight after liposuctionMy Profile

13. says

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve consider your
    stuff prior to and you’re simply extremely fantastic.
    I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say
    it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. That is really a terrific
    web site.
    sb1m recently posted…sb1mMy Profile

14. says

Hey there, I think your blog might bee having browser compatibility issues.

Whenn I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine bbut when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very
    good blog!
    Meridith recently posted…MeridithMy Profile

15. says

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site.
    You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to
    write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please blast me an email if interested. Thanks!
    citifinancialservicing recently posted…citifinancialservicingMy Profile

16. says

Many times sales are made of the same items you are wearing at the craft show.
    However, the bright red coloring of the characters often clash against the deep Jade
    coloring making it hard to decipher the proper letters.
    Ryan-Willis said at the beginning, she spent about 20 minutes daily finding more information on how to improve her business, advertise on other websites or read about other successful candle makers.
    headbands in different collors recently posted…headbands in different collorsMy Profile

17. says

Using ingenious technology and innovation the
    Romans made an Empire that withstood the test of time.
    So unless service repair shop completes the formalities
    and discover the necessary certifications they’re able to’t start their business.

If you’re still at a loss, you are able to contact the customer care team either by email, live chat, or phone
    during standard west coast business hours.
    hkcff.org recently posted…hkcff.orgMy Profile

18. says

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just
    so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    hacks recently posted…hacksMy Profile

19. says

Also, there will be some games leaving the Play – Station Plus and the list includes:.
    You can use Prepaid Master – Card for sophisticated empire that has revolutionized the commencement of spending and finance schlep,
    Prepaid Master – Card is a buy debit Master Card that you can use to pay bills, shop online,
    etc, it is accepted in stores, restaurants, online at gas stations.
    They even give a list of some of the product’s ingredients: chilli pepper, essential oils, fruits
    and herbs.
    http://miniURL.fouiner.info/free_psn_code_245526 recently posted…http://miniURL.fouiner.info/free_psn_code_245526My Profile

20. says

The server would be so fast that you will love to access
    it in a matter of few seconds. Everybody knows, there are 3 key mobile systems that are within tablets and smartphones: Apple.
    Mobile application helps in easy interaction, and communications that employs a blend of several content forms like text, audio, data,
    animation, graphics, video, and so on.
    Val recently posted…ValMy Profile

21. says

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest
    authoring on other websites? I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would appreciate your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.
    ac brazing torch set recently posted…ac brazing torch setMy Profile

22. says

Now, in the world of web hosting, theree are many things for you to consider.
    I am pretty certain that if you follow all these tips and instructions you would be able to
    promote your business iin the best possible way. Noot only will you end up with problems at a later stage, you might also find it quite
    challenging to be able to modify the website either to accommodate some
    changes that might have been requested by your users.
    http://www.zinepal.com/feed/quick-click -hosting recently posted…http://www.zinepal.com/feed/quick-click -hostingMy Profile

23. says

I think that everything published was actually very
    logical. However, think about this, what if you wrote a catchier post title?
    I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your blog, but suppose you added something that grabbed
    people’s attention? I mean The curse of self-doubt | Everyday Trish is kinda boring.

You should glance at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they create post titles to grab people to click.
    You might add a related video or a related picture or two to get people excited about what you’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it would bring your posts a little bit more interesting.
    minecraft games free recently posted…minecraft games freeMy Profile

24. says

Since their story wouldn’t sound right within the context of my reality, I translated the vibration into a story which could have put on me.
    Must you be an empath for being able to send your emotions out strongly toward other people.

The subconscious then relates the emotions of self-esteem and achievement
    for the behavior of going for a test.
    http://rlpr.co/pirate_bay_4612 recently posted…http://rlpr.co/pirate_bay_4612My Profile

25. says

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your site.

You have some really good articles and I
    feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some
    content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!
    Dino Hunter Deadly Shores Hack recently posted…Dino Hunter Deadly Shores HackMy Profile

26. says

Hi there!
    Can everyone contain the same troubles as i complete?
    I can’t manage to anymore meet my associate from the bed room.
    Following obtaining several kids We’ve lost the baby-belly
    fat nevertheless I am unable to often re-tighten my own vagina.
    I have to regularly complete other considerations to make them
    delighted from the room since genital making love not excites him.
    Guide! I’ve got began considering products in addition to solutions to resolve this specific, could anybody recommend a fantastic 1?

Appreciate it!
    record revirginizer price recently posted…record revirginizer priceMy Profile

27. says

No one seems to gforce green electric solutions take into consideration. There
    are chances that sometimes you get a short gforce green electric solutions in the system or frayed cables, mostly, are the chief reasons behind a dangerous
    fire hazard. This is how people end up with.
    Of course, if you have children, work, or new construction. Tell them
    these facts by outlining them in your house. But what if you want to set forth
    out all on your own.
    Electricians recently posted…ElectriciansMy Profile

28. says

The medieval styling of the land of Calradia in Mount & Blade:
    Warband extends to the vast array of weaponry
    on offer. However, their white horse is a Trojan Horse that will shock and betray both Arab and Jew.
    Start by getting the one by itself on the right side of
    the fort.
    throne rush cheats recently posted…throne rush cheatsMy Profile

29. says

Live betting, & online sports betting have never been easier, safer or
    more accessible to you, our avid punters. There is good reason why gold is considered to be a universal currency, as
    no matter what country in the world you are from, this precious
    metal is considered to be very scarce, thus making it extremely valuable.

The term “Handloom” refers to a specific keyword which
    refers to any work done by hand.
    top eleven recently posted…top elevenMy Profile

30. says

dosarul a durat asa de mult deoarece nu s-a declarat la data accidentului,dupa o luna chiar de mine,,sotul,,au itervenit declaratii mincinoase dovedite in dosar,directorul gasit vinovat de abuz in serviciu sanctionat,intreprinderea vinovata si amendata de ITM a mers dosarul de 3 ori de la procuratura la tribunal si doar in ultima instanta dosarul a fost lucrat de un procuror responsabil si profesionist gaseste vinovatia celui ce a produs accidentul.de aici alte si alte probleme cu reconstituirea,cei ce au facut expertizele sunt cercetati penal s-a inceput urmarirea penal impotriva acestora,ar fi mult de povestit,dosarul are cel putin 7 kg,va multumesc!

Trackbacks