I’m pretty bad at doing nice things for myself. Sometimes it’s because I don’t think I have the time or the money, but I’ll be honest, a good portion of the time it’s because I plain don’t think I deserve it. Because I didn’t get all the cleaning done or get up early to exercise or eat as well as I wanted this week or returned that phone call I was putting off. It’s always something. But you know, it will always be something. Because, that’s life.
I decided to stop waiting until I got perfect before I started being nice to myself, and I kicked things off with a pretty vase of flowers next to my bed.
I think I might need fresh flowers next to my bed from now on. I love them.
And here are a few more ideas of how we can treat ourselves on a budget:
- Go the movies alone. This is a lot easier if you don’t have kids, but if you can swing a free or cheap babysitter, do it! I used to think going to the movies by myself would be awkward and lonely, but I actually like it.
- Buy some pretty nail polish and give yourself an at-home pedicure.
- Buy a new book or check one out at the library and give yourself an hour or two of reading time.
- Indulge in a meal you don’t normally get. Maybe it’s something you think you shouldn’t have all the time (hello fried chicken!) or something you don’t eat a lot because others in your family don’t like it.
- Watch TV with a giant bowl of ice cream.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Spend an hour or two on your favorite hobby.
- Take a nap!
- Buy a pair or two of new panties. Seriously, I know I cannot be the only person on this planet who feels like a million bucks in a new pair of underwear.
- Go for a walk. I know, exercise doesn’t seem that indulgent, but you don’t have to set any records. Go slow. Enjoy the scenery. Breathe in some fresh air. It really will feel like a treat!
Do you have any ideas to add to the list? Leave a comment!
Want to keep up with all my cake-fueled ramblings? You can subscribe to my newsletter or find me at one of these places: